About this course
Have you ever watched ballroom dancers or listened to an orchestral waltz, and wondered what makes the music so memorable? Do you want to learn how to compose a brilliant waltz yourself? In this course I’ll take you through each stage of writing a waltz, step-by-step, from creating an effective melody to structuring your piece and making a recording. Along the way you’ll find helpful videos, audio clips and interactive features to make the course fun and engaging.
You will see how I compose a waltz from scratch and can listen to and download the finished piece at the end of the course.
You can use any DAW or notation programme you feel confident with or even use good old-fashioned pen and paper!
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at GCSE (or equivalent) music students. For more advanced students, this course would be suitable as a starting point as it includes guidance on taking your music to the next level.
You will learn to:
- Explore waltz repertoire and identify key features
- Plan your waltz composition effectively
- Compose a memorable waltz melody
- Develop your melodic material
- Set up a DAW file or notation programme score
- Add chords to your melody
- Modulate effectively
- Compose a successful accompaniment
- Structure your waltz
- Re-orchestrate your waltz to include different instruments
- Make a recording using your preferred platform