How to compose a competition piece
About this course
Have you ever listened to or watched a music competition? You might have been wowed by the performance, but have you ever thought about the actual music that was being played? What makes a musician choose a piece for competition performance?
In this course I will compose a competition piece alongside you, from the opening melody to the final recording. I’ll take you through the composing process step-by-step, offering handy hints and tips along the way. At the end of the course you can listen to and download my final piece so that you’ve got a solid example to refer to.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to learn how to compose a piece to show off what their instrument can do! It is relevant for GCSE (or equivalent) students and there is a Taking it to the next level section included in the course, making it suitable for A level (or equivalent) candidates also.
- Explore the competition repertoire
- Find out what makes a piece have the ‘wow’ factor
- Analyse existing competition pieces
- Compose a competition piece in two movements
- Produce an effective piano accompaniment
- Discover how to stretch your instrument’s capabilities
- Develop your melodic themes.
- Modulate to different keys
- Make a recording
Unlimited Access for 12 months
Access this course as many times as you like for the next 12 months for a single price.